So good they can’t ignore you
Author – Cal Newport
Date Started – 15 March 2022
Data Finished – 31 March 2022
The Book in 3 Sentences
- It’s a career development book that challenges the conventional wisdom that following your passion is the key to a fulfilling career🎯 The author argues that instead of searching for your passion, one should focus on developing rare and valuable skills that are in high demand.
- 💡Stressing the importance of deliberate practice and continuous improvement leads to mastery and, eventually, a fulfilling career. The book also emphasizes the importance of having control over one’s work, which leads to a sense of autonomy and purpose.
- Finally, the book shares various real-life examples of individuals from various industries and profiles, who eventually pursued mastery and achieved success, both financially and professionally.
💎Debunks the long-held belief that “follow your passion” is good advice.
Not only is the cliché flawed preexisting passions rare and have little to do with how most people end up loving their work but it can also be dangerous, leading to anxiety and chronic job hopping.
Most people don’t know what their passion is, and beat themselves up for not having figured it out. This brings a downward spiral of thought and brings self-doubt.
💪Alternatively, they can master some craft and while on the journey find their passion.
How the Book Changed Me
The title itself, “Be So Good They Can’t Ignore You” is a mantra that I deeply believe in and try to impart to those close to me, including my children.
This book serves as a constant reminder to strive for excellence in everything I do. Its teachings have provided me with guidance and inspiration in times when I feel lost or uncertain. It has helped me to strive to be the best version of myself and to make a positive impact in all areas of my life.
I wanted to share my appreciation for this book with you and encourage you to give it a read if you have not already done so. Its messages are timeless and relevant to us all, no matter where we are in our personal and professional journeys.
My Top 3 Quotes
- “Don’t follow your passion, but rather let it follow you in your quest to become valuable.”
- “The most successful people don’t just work hard, they work hard at the right things.”
- “Passion is a side effect of mastery”
Who should read it
“So Good They Can’t Ignore You” book is suitable for individuals who are seeking career development and fulfillment. It is especially beneficial for those who:
- Are searching for their passion and purpose in life.
- Feel unfulfilled or dissatisfied with their current job or career.
- Are considering a career change or transition?
- Want to build valuable skills that are in demand?
- Seek more autonomy, control, and purpose in their work.
- Want to achieve success and fulfillment in their career.
The book provides a unique perspective on career development and provides practical advice on how to achieve a fulfilling career. It is suitable for professionals at all levels, from entry-level to executives, and for individuals of all ages, from those starting their careers to those nearing retirement.
Summary + Notes
Essentially there are 4 rules
- Don’t Follow Your Passion
- Be So Good They Can’t Ignore You ( the importance of skills )
- Turn Down A Promotion ( the importance of control )
- Think Small, Act Big ( the importance of mission )